Saturday, April 14, 2007

No date -- Snyder poetry

[There is first a copy of "Tasting the Snow" by Gary Snyder in the journal -- it's from the book The Back Country, and since I'm no good at HTML formatting at the moment I won't slaughter it by trying to set it in text here. Great poem though, read it if you can.]

I broke through something today. Something's cleaned out. It was a good day. I'm washed (action), and clean. Something's cleansed. Thank you, day.

*********

Over on the ridge that joins the butte to my South, the birds are all riled up. Almost like there's something coming up. Yelling, and jumping around. Maybe a bobcat or lynx is making its way up to the butte -- a bear. I'm sure that's what it sounds like when I'm walking around -- clumsy in my hiking boots.

*********

Tonight, lantern out, lying in bed, staring at the moon. I felt my vocation swell within me. I felt a contentment that I was on the path, *my* path. It became evident to me and I smiled. Thank you.

[At this point there is an arrow, pointing to the next page. It's a transcription of Snyder's translation of Miyazawa Kenji's "Moon, Son of Heaven." This is also in The Back Country. The last line is "So -- I -- hail the moon as Emperor Moon, this is not mere personification." Love that line to this day.]

No comments: