Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Morning Tai Chi practice went well [1/3]

[So far, almost every post I've made over the past 3-4 days has made me cringe in some way and want to explain myself or it. Explain it in some way that distances me from the content. I think I'll stop doing that -- it is what it is and I'll just put it down for historical reference, or entertainment, or whatever it is folks want to see it as.]

I went outside and did my Tai Chi set. I had the radio in its little yellow carrier over to the side in the rocks, next to some lupine. Parts of the set felt better than I've ever felt doing Tai Chi.

Afterwards, I slowly picked up the radio and habitually headed back up towards the tower. Two or three steps into the motion, I stopped. I went back to the gravel-flat space where I do my Tai Chi [a helicopter landing pad] and Sat.

I allowed my eyes to rest on a configuration of leaves in a small shrub. I relaxed, my vision relaxed, my breathing relaxed. I remembered my breath, and began to breath up through my center from the earth and let it spill back down over me from the top of my head back into the ground. Soon that seemed imbalanced, however.

I remembered the breath I learned in the dry lake bed in South East Oregon, where I bring the energy down through my crown and up through my root at the same time on the inhale, and let them disperse from my chest (heart) -- creating the world -- on the exhale. I breathed that way for many minutes.

Sometime after I Sat -- I don't know when -- a wind spirit, in the form of a dustless dust devil, traveled behind me through the Beargrass and gravel. Smiling I composed myself and spoke aloud to it, setting boundaries I had learned years ago from a Cherokee teacher. Boundaries for when you are approached by a spirit in the wild -- basically calling out that if it was there to be helpful, it is welcome, if not it must go. [I won't use the exact phrasing, as it was taught to me in confidence, and I was never instructed to pass it on]. Good way to start the morning.

[To Be Continued]

No comments: